Monday, July 14, 2014

What I am reading...

While Jeff and I were discussing the possibility of adopting a child with Down Syndrome I immediately began researching.  My point in researching isn't to learn everything there is to know about Down Syndrome (while that is important to me); but my purpose in my research is to see what resources are available to Sam and my family.  

Down Syndrome Parenting 101 by Natalie Hale was recommended on some online list (I can't remember exactly where).  Ms Hale, who has an adult child with Down Syndrome, speaks of her struggles and what she has learned as a parent of a special needs child.  She provides links to local resources, definitions of terms associated with therapy and educational assistance and parenting advice.  

The other book I am reading is so so awesome, Theology and Down Syndrome.  I love that this book even exists!  This book philosophically analyzes Down Syndrome and provides a theological take on individuals with Downs.  Brian Brock, in his review, writes, "his challenging and stimulating look at Down syndrome is a must read for any Christian academic or layperson interested in what it means to be a human being."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS